Notes from Mike McCarthy's Thursday press conference
The Green Bay Packers practiced outside in the elements Thursday morning in preparation for their Sunday afternoon playoff contest versus the San Francisco 49ers. Temperatures figure to be in the single digits or worse with a wind chill below zero for Sunday's game (Tom Coughlin's face is red just thinking about it). Below are some top-line notes from Mike McCarthy's post-practice press conference.
DID NOT PRACTICE: Clay Matthews (out)
LIMITED AT PRACTICE: Brad Jones, Eddie Lacy, Mike Neal, Nick Perry, Ryan Pickett
- Eddie Lacy was limited but put in a good days work. Always good to get practice in, even if limited.
- Normal Thursday practice today. Spent a limited portion of practice outside in the elements. Ball security always a focus. Did drills inside and outside.
- Weather factors into game plan.
- 49ers control the football very well. Time of possession is always a focus.
- Clay is best player on defense. Losing him is just a part of the game. Been down this path before without Clay.
- Cobb seems to have rebounded well from injury. Confidence level is up.
- Defense has a stiff challenge in front of them. Told team to forget about statistics - the past is the past. Need to focus on what's in front of them.
- Hoping to start fast. Would prefer to not come from behind, but team has embraced challenge of doing so in past weeks.
- Doesn't see any big surprises on the horizon. There will be unscouted looks, but it's tough to surprise teams nowadays.