Notes from Mike McCarthy's Wednesday press conference
After taking Tuesday off, the Green Bay Packers hit the practice field Wednesday in preparation for Sunday's matchup against the Detroit Lions at Lambeau Field. The Lions lead the NFC North division with a 3-1 record, but have lost 22 straight meetings in the state of Wisconsin (19 straight at Lambeau). Following Wednesday's practice, Packers Head Coach Mike McCarthy addressed the media. Below are some top-line notes:
LIMITED AT PRACTICE: Clay Matthews
DID NOT PRACTICE: Casey Hayward (out), James Starks (out), Greg Van Roten (out)
- Clay was limited but he is getting better. He's made a lot of progress since coming off the field in Cincinnati.
- Greg Van Roten suffered a foot sprain on Monday and will be out several weeks.
- James Starks will likely be out a couple of weeks. Lacy has had two good days of work, and Franklin has looked good.
- Hamstring injuries are all different Casey Hayward will not be ready this week. Rate of recovery is different with everyone.
- Finley looks good...bye week clearly helped.
- Lions are a very talented football team and are playing well. Reggie Bush is playing at a high level. Stafford gets ball out of hand quickly. Lions are playing up-tempo. Stafford only sacked three times all season. Forget about last season...this is a good football team.
- Very pleased with the progress Mason Crosby has made since last season. Kicking the ball very well.
- Streak against the Lions in WI is not even acknowledged. Can't focus on that stuff.
- Not comfortable answering who will be the return man Sunday. Will take the full week to evaluate.
- Mike Neal is adapting well to the LB position. He was excited about the opportunity. He's finally healthy.
- McCarthy is "worn out" talking about the injuries.
- RB's are key decision makers on the football field. Group of RB's is off to a good start, and they need to continue to progress.
- Sam Shields is off to a great start this season.