Notes from Mike McCarthy's Thursday press conference
The Packers continued preparation for their Sunday afternoon road test the Bengals. The Packers have never played in Cincinnati during Mike McCarthy's tenure as Head Coach. Coach Mike McCarthy addressed the media following Thursday's practice - below are some top-line notes.
LIMITED IN PRACTICE: Jermichael Finley, TJ Lang, Johnny Jolly
DID NOT PRACTICE: Morgan Burnett, Jarrett Bush, Eddie Lacy, Casey Hayward (out)
- TJ Lang tightened up a little bit...doesn't appear serious.
- McCarthy familiar with Hard Knocks. Really didn't watch this season. There was no advantage to be gained on the opponent by watching.
- Eddie Lacy took a step forward in the post-concussion protocol. Will see where he is at tomorrow. Must practice tomorrow in order to play. Medical staff feels that he has a chance to play. Upcoming bye week is not a factor in his availability. Best 46 need to play.
- Bengals rookie RB Giovani Bernard is a good player. Has made an impact.
- A.J. Green is great in the controlled passing game, and as a deep threat. Fundamentals are critical in stopping him.
- Need to recognize two TE formations. Lots of weapons at Dalton's disposal. Their tight ends are three-down players...very versatile.
- Prepared to go with Starks and Franklin at RB if needed.
- Pleased with pressure on QB through two games. Defense needs to finish games better.
- Morgan Burnett is making progress, but is considered a long-shot to play this weekend.
- Views the TE and FB position as one. When it comes to roster-building, there is tremendous carry-over in the Packers system. Players are educated and trained the same way in regards to blocking etc..
- Turnovers are key fundamental of football. Practiced every day. Need to do a better job forcing the ball lose.
- Andrew Quarless is getting more and more comfortable. He needs to play. Got his feet wet in week one...got better last week.
Now off to the locker room to chat with the players.