The life of a national play-by-play broadcaster


The life of a national play-by-play broadcaster

CREATED Nov. 27, 2012

I often wonder how guys like Wayne Larrivee do their jobs without messing up more often. Consider a guy like Wayne - one of the best in the business - might be called upon to do a BIG Ten football, Packers game, and Monday Night Football game in a three day span. Forget about the travel, study-time and production meetings...just keeping an accurate day planner would be a difficult task.

In his weekly Monday Morning Quarterback feature, Sports Illustrated's Peter King outlined the work week for Ian Eagle. Eagle, like Wayne, is an ultra-talented play by play man who can be heard on CBS football/YES Network basketball/Dial Global sports radio. King took the opportunity to outline the week that was for his brother in broadcasting. It's nothing short of extraordinary. 

Sunday, Nov. 18: Flew from St. Louis to New York after doing Jets-Rams game for CBS. Arrived at his New Jersey home at 11:15 p.m.

Monday: Flew from Newark to Los Angeles at 8 p.m.

Tuesday: Did the Nets-Lakers game in Los Angeles for YES Network.. Flew on Nets' charter with team from Los Angeles to San Francisco. In bed by 2 a.m. Wednesday.

Wednesday: Did the Nets-Warriors game in Oakland for YES Network. Flew on Nets' charter with team from San Francisco to Newark after the game. In bed in his New Jersey home by 9 a.m. Thursday.

Thursday: Did the Patriots-Jets game for Dial Global Radio. Home by midnight.

Friday: Did the Clippers-Nets game from Brooklyn for YES Network. Home by midnight.

Saturday: Flew to San Diego at 8:20 a.m. Did CBS production meeting with Chargers at noon at their team facility.

Sunday: Did the Ravens-Chargers game for CBS at 1 p.m. Pacific Time. Returned to San Diego hotel. Rested. Flew to Newark at 9:30 p.m., with the redeye due to deliver him home just after dawn today.

"At one point on the flight to San Diego Saturday,'' Eagle reported Sunday night, "I napped for about seven minutes and woke up and I thought I was flying to Buffalo to do a Bills game. Then again, I also thought at one point I was an orthodontist."