10 For 14
Every year I pull out the old crystal ball and try to see what the future holds. Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong - and often I'm just a little bit ahead of my time.
So, without further ado, here are 10 predictions for 2014:
1. Governor Walker will win re-election in November of 2014. I expect the Left and their allies in the mainstream media to throw everything they have at Governor Walker - but to no avail. It might very well turn out to be the most expensive campaign in State history but in the end, I expect Walker to prevail. The truth is that his reforms are working and the majority of Wisconsin voters don't want to turn back the clock.
2. Republicans will not re-take control of the U.S. Senate. To take control would require a pick up of 6 seats. I think the GOP will come close but ultimately fall short. I say this because Republicans will probably blow one or two races by nominating candidates who have no chance to win in a general election.
3. Act 10 will be upheld. I know I predicted that this would happen last year - and it would have if the State Supreme Court had gotten its act together sooner. As it stands, I look the Court to uphold Act 10 by the Spring of 2014.
4. Voter ID changes will not be in place by the November 2014 election. Ultimately, I believe that Wisconsin's Voter ID Law will pass Constitutional muster. Unfortunately, the first Federal challenge is being decided by a very liberal District Judge, Lynn Adelman. If he rejects the Voter ID law, the case will then be appealed to the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals. In this event, I don't necessarily expect a decision by November. The wheels of justice occasionally turn amazingly slow.
5. The Dow will hit 17,500 sometime during the year. I don't think next year will be as great for the stock market as this year was - but I still think the economy will continue to improve.
6. Obamacare will continue to be a hot mess. Forget web site problems, I think the law is seriously flawed and that the flaws are becoming more apparent each and every day. 2014 is the year the "employer mandates" are scheduled to kick in - and I think this is going to lead to massive issues. If the rollout of Obamacare had troubles, I think 2014 will bring troubles with hair on them.
7. Ryan Braun will have a solid season. The truth is that Ryan Braun will probably never be elected MVP again no matter how great a year he has. That said, I think he will have a strong season that will thrill his fans and confound his critics.
8. Milwaukee will be no closer to replacing the Bradley Center. If the movers and shakers in this community were serious about getting things done, the "blue ribbon commission" looking at replacing the Bradley Center wouldn't be populated with the same old faces that have populated every major commission around here for decades. A regional sales tax is a political non-starter and no one seems to have any new ideas. Look for more wheel spinning while Herb Kohl tries to find a buyer for the Bucks.
9. The homicide rate in Milwaukee will go down. I know I predicted this last year and was - unfortunately - wrong. Murders can't really go up again, can they?
10. Jimmy Buffett will play Summerfest. I know that he hasn't been at Summerfest for years largely because he can make more dough playing Alpine Valley. Still, Summerfest is cool and Alpine Valley is a dump. Maybe 2014 is the year he comes back. Please save me some seats Mr. Smiley.
There you have it - 10 for 14. We'll check back next December to see how I did.
In the meantime, please feel free to use the Comments section to offer your thoughts on my predictions or provide some of your own.