Loading...

Weather Alerts 4 View »

Second person wearing Google Glass attacked in San Francisco

Play

Second person wearing Google Glass attacked in San Francisco

By Phyllis Stark. CREATED Apr 15, 2014

As Google begins selling its’ high-tech Google Glass device in the U.S. for one day April 15, a report has emerged of a second person being attacked for wearing the device in San Francisco. 

Kyle Russell, a 20-year-old reporter for Business Insider, says he “had his Google Glass snatched of his face and smashed to the ground in San Francisco’s Mission District Friday evening,” as he was walking on the sidewalk with a colleague, reports CBS San Francisco. “A woman came up to him and yelled, ‘Glass!’ and grabbed the device off his face and sprinted away, he said. Russell said he chased the woman through traffic for a block before she stopped and flung the $1,500 device onto the ground, breaking it – then running away again.”
 
Just prior to the incident, Russell had been covering a protest against a Google lawyer who allegedly evicted people from a building he owned. “Earlier that morning, many of those protesters also blocked a Google bus in the Mission District on Dolores and 18th streets,” CBS reports, quoting Russell as saying, “In retrospect, I can see how [wearing Glass after Mission District Google protest] might not have been the best idea.”
 
“In February, the alleged attack on Glass-wearing social media consultant Sarah Slocum at a San Francisco bar generated headlines worldwide and a helped create a backlash against wearers of the device and its perceived infringement on people’s privacy,” CBS reports.
 
Phyllis Stark

Phyllis Stark

Email Facebook Twitter
Phyllis Stark is the Digital Executive Producer - National Content for Journal Broadcast Group.