Loading...

Ben Affleck makes headlines over alleged Vegas blackjack dispute

Photo: Image by Getty Images

Ben Affleck makes headlines over alleged Vegas blackjack dispute

By Phyllis Stark. CREATED May 3, 2014

Hollywood A-lister Ben Affleck was reportedly been banned from playing blackjack at a Las Vegas casino. Reports on reason for the ban vary, with some media outlets claiming he was counting cards, and others saying the actor/director was simply “too good” at the game.

USA Today reported May 3 that the Hard Rock Casino “slapped the Oscar winner with a lifetime ban from its blackjack tables after its security officials confronted him with accusations he was counting cards earlier this week.”
 
Card counting is not a crime, but is discouraged by casinos and can lead to gambling bans.
 
CNN, however, quotes a source “close to Affleck” disputing published reports that he was “booted” from the casino. Rather, CNN reports, “the source says, he was asked to leave after casino security told him: ‘You are too good at the game.’ The actor was told he could play other games at the casino, the source said.”
 
The Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas issued the following statement: "Mr. Affleck, a valued guest of Hard Rock Hotel & Casino, is not banned from our property and is welcome back any time." The statement did not specifically address Affleck's future involvement in blackjack games.
 
CNN reports “Affleck was in Las Vegas with his wife [Jennifer Garner] for a quick getaway before the actor begins shooting ‘Batman vs. Superman.’ . . . Affleck has been cast as Bruce Wayne in the upcoming film.”
Phyllis Stark

Phyllis Stark

Email Facebook Twitter
Phyllis Stark is the Digital Executive Producer - National Content for Journal Broadcast Group.