Packers schedule to be revealed week of April 21
Lambeau Field. Photo: Image by Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Have you ever tried to guess the Green Bay Packers schedule before it was released? I tried it last year and damn near developed an ulcer. It is an incredibly difficult, and maddening task. It is so difficult, the St. Louis Rams are offering $100,000 to anyone who can successfully predict the opponent, location, and time of each of their 16 regular season games.
According to Profootballtalk.com, the 2014-2015 NFL schedule will be revealed as early as April 22. As it pertains to the Packers, there are several variables one must keep in mind when attempting to predict their schedule.
- The Packers HOME opponents will be: Bears, Lions, Vikings, Falcons, Panthers, Eagles, Patriots, and Jets.
- The Packers ROAD opponents will be: Bears, Lions, Vikings, Seahawks, Saints, Buccaneers, Bills and Dolphins.
- There is a very good chance the Packers will open the season at Seattle against the Super Bowl champion Seahawks on Thursday, September 4. The Denver Broncos, and San Francisco 49ers would also be logical selections for the season opener, but the words "simultaneous possession" are screaming at me.
- The Packers will NOT play on Thanksgiving this season. The Lions will host an AFC opponent (my guess is the Bills), and the Cowboys are not on the Packers opponent list for 2014.
- The Packers will play three teams that will play in London: The Dolphins, Falcons and Lions. The NFL typically awards a bye week following a London trip. Given this logic, the Packers will not play the Dolphins in week 5, and they will not play the Falcons or Lions in week 9.
- Given the Lions will most likely have a bye in week 9, it's reasonable to assume the Packers will also have a bye in week 9, but certainly no guarantee.
- The Packers will end the season against a division opponent. Last season, the Packers ended at Chicago. In 2012, the Packers ended the season at Minnesota. In 2011, the Packers ended the season against Detroit. By that logic, the Packers will finish with Detroit.
- The Vikings have an agreement with the University of Minnesota to avoid hosting games on a Monday or Thursday. Remember, the Vikings will be playing outdoors at TCF Bank Stadium this season. If you think the Packers and Vikings will meet in primetime, the game will likely be at Lambeau Field.
I'll work at predicting the complete schedule over the weekend, but, as you can see, there is nothing simple about the task.
Look for an updated post sometime before the NFL reveals the full 256-game schedule. Should you attempt to do the same, I wish you the best of luck.