Guest: Dells hotel didn't do enough to help during carbon monoxide leak
Annie Scholz with Jay Sorgi
Photo: Video by tmj4.com
LAKE DELTON - A carbon monoxide leak at a hotel in the Wisconsin Dells has some guests upset more wasn't done to help them.
Doug Schuenemann was enjoying a vacation in the Dells with his fiancé and baby boy when all of the sudden early Saturday morning at the Travelodge hotel, he got a shock.
"A firefighter on our door saying 'Lake Delton Fire Department. We need to evacuate the building. It's full of carbon monoxide," said Schuenemann to TODAY'S TMJ4's Annie Scholz.
Doug's immediate thoughts went to his six month old son.
"At that point you wake up, you look over at your son in the pack and play. Is he still breathing? That's the first thing that goes through your mind. Your heart drops. You wonder if he's OK."
Doug's family and several others went to the hospital.
He started wondering “what happened?”
Schuenemann says they got to the hotel around 11:00 Friday night.
He went back and forth from his room to the car until 12:30 a.m., and says there were no alarms and no warnings from any employees about a problem.
Then, he remembered something.
"The front doors, the side exits, the pool exits, every single door was propped wide open."
Doug thinks the hotel knew there were elevated carbon monoxide levels, and thought they could “air it out."
He also says the response from Travelodge when he asked for a ride back from the hospital and to be put up at another hotel was "not part of our policy."
Wyndham Hotel Group, the parent company of Travelodge, sent a statement saying, in part, "The safety and well-being of guests and staff is of the utmost importance."
Doug wants them to back that up with more action.
"I want the hotel to take the accountability that they need to take," said Schuenemann.
The hotel is closed while the investigation continues. Doug says he's exploring legal options.