CREATED Feb. 14, 2013
MILWAUKEE - A popular Chinese spot on the east side has been fined by the health department. Inspectors found three pages of violations.
The restaurant is Chopstix on Farwell near Kane. We were there in 2007.
It's the same story then and now, a long list of health code violations.
They include employees not washing their hands.
Manager Wendy Luo told us, "Oh no, we wash." T
he health inspector noted there was no soap for employees to use. Luo went on to say they had soap, but had not yet resupplied the dispensers.
An employee touched his face and didn't wash his hands. Luo told us that did not happen.
According to the report, the health inspector watched the employee do it.
Chopstix had a "severe fruit fly problem" in the food prep area. Luo said they've called an exterminator.
Containers of food were left uncovered which could contaminate it. A sink used to prepare food was dirty.
The restaurant was also ordered to clean.
The kitchen floor, grease and mold from shelves, and debris on the outside of food buckets and containers.
Also a cutting board which was slimy and dirty underneath. Luo told us all the violations are fixed.
Two restaurants keeping things clean on recent inspections are Casablanca Restaurant on Brady Street and a Jimmy John's on the south side on Holt near Chase.