Tips for hiring a contractor
MILWAUKEE - If you plan to hire a contractor to do some work around your home, listen up.
There may be a few things that you will want to do before signing a contract or paying for the work.
Now that spring has sprung, some of us may be thinking about hiring a contractor to spruce up our home or take care of necessary repairs.
Before you sign a contract or pay for the work to be done, here are a few things that you may want to do:
- Before starting any work, shop around and get more than one estimate from reputable contractors.
It is a good idea to check out their reputation with consumer agencies, as well as people who have had work done by the contractor in the past.
- Ask questions about the contractor's expertise and qualifications, lien waivers, and insurance, as well as how the work to be done may effect day to day living for those who reside there.
- Before signing a contract, make sure that it includes important details such as the type of work to be performed, materials used, cost, and start and completion dates.
- Before allowing work to begin, make sure that you have proof of insurance from the contractor as well as proof that all necessary permits have been issued.
- Do not pay in full until the job has been done to your complete satisfaction, and not until you have received lein waivers and warranty information.
If you have a problem with a contractor or the work performed and are unable to resolve it on your own, contact our Call 4 Action office for assistance.