Tips for hiring a tax preparer
MILWAUKEE - This is the time of year when many of us will be hiring someone to help us file our taxes.
Before you hire a tax preparer, you may want to check things out to be sure that you do not get taken in the process.
If you plan to hire someone to help you file your taxes, be careful.
There are a number of issues that could put your personal information and pocket book at risk.
Before you hire a tax preparer, make sure to:
- Check out the reputation of the person or business that will be filing your return
- Make sure that you fully understand all of the terms and conditions of using their services
- Check online or with consumer agencies to see if any complaints or legal actions have been filed with the preparer or business
- Ask questions about education and the level of expertise that your preparer has, including if they have ever assisted a client with an audit, if they have any special designations such as c.P.A., or if they belong to any professional organizations.
- Ask how your information will be safeguarded, the cost to file your return and any other fees or interest that you may be charged, especially if you are considering a rapid anticipation loan.
- If possible, try to check over and review your tax return before it is officially filed.
Keep in mind, if there are any errors, you are ultimately responsible for getting these corrected with state and federal tax authorities.