Tenants' rights

Karen Stiles

Tenants' rights

CREATED Jun. 16, 2012

MILWAUKEE - Got a problem with your landlord or rental unit?  You may be able to get some help.

This is the time of year when our Call 4 Action office receives a number of landlord/tenant complaints.

These complaints range from units that are unsafe and in need of repair, to evictions, and problems in receiving security deposits back.

If you are having a problem with your landlord or rental unit, here is what you can do:

• Check out your Wisconsin tenant rights and responsibilities.

The Wisconsin Department of Consumer Protection has a copy of these rights and responsibilities posted on their website, or your can contact our Call 4 Action office to obtain a copy.

There is a lot of helpful information in this document, including information about leases, how to inspect an apartment before your move in, and your rights regarding your security deposit.

• If your rental unit is unsafe or in need of repair, document the nature of the problem, take pictures, and provide this information to your landlord immediately.

It might also be a good idea to keep copies of what was sent, document the date that the problem was reported, who you spoke to, the resolution that was promised, and when.

• Allow sufficient time for your landlord to resolve the issue.

However, if you are not getting any results, you may want to contact your city's housing code officials, health, or neighborhood services department, or contact the wisconsin department of consumer protection or our Call 4 Action office to ask for help.