Hiring a lawn care service
MILWAUKEE - Now that the weather has gotten warmer, and the grass has been getting greener, you might be noticing that it's time to hire a lawn care service.
What are the most important things we need to do before we hire a lawn care service?
• Shop around.
• Check out the reputation of the business providing the service.
• Ask questions about the processes used for treating and maintaining your lawn.
• Do not sign a contract until you have read and understand all of services to be provided, as well as the terms and conditions of the contract, especially anything that appears in small, bug-sized print.
How do you check out the reputation of the contractor?
• Ask people who have used a lawn care service for recommendations of companies they liked and for a heads up on companies that they did not like, and ask why they were dissatisfied.
• Check out the complaint history with the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection and Better Business Bureau.
• Check to be sure that the company is properly licensed, insured, and certified for the services that they intend to perform, especially if they will be applying pesticides.
If you run into a problem with a lawn care service, where can you turn for help?
If you are unable to resolve an issue with the lawn care service, contact the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection.
Depending upon the type of problem, they will either connect you to a consumer protection or a pesticide specialist.