Milwaukee home explosion blamed on natural gas
Photo: Video by tmj4.com
MILWAUKEE - A loud blast startled neighbors from their sleep early Sunday morning near N. 79th Street & W. Bobolink Avenue. Firefighters say when they arrived, the blaze had already fully engulfed the vacant home.
"Woke me up in the middle of the night," a man is heard saying mobile home video. "The side of the house already fell down."
First responders found natural gas spewing from the line heading into the house. The explosion destroyed the residential gas meter.
Court records reveal the property is in foreclosure.
The two homes next door also incurred significant damage.
A woman who lives in one of those neighboring homes came back in daylight. A crew boarded up her roof. She told TODAY'S TMJ4 reporter Tom Murray that her 2-year-old son was asleep in her room. That may have spared his life.
"That's his room right there," she said, pointing to an upstairs room blackened by the fire. "He could have been dead if I didn't hear anything. We both could have been dead."
No one was injured.
The Milwaukee Police Department is investigating.