BURLINGTON - Burlington firefighters are trying to find out what started the fire that heavily damaged a historic building.
Firefighters from 20 departments tried to save the Daniels furniture store.
It's a big loss for downtown Burlington. There was over a million dollars’ worth of furniture inside.
Matt Daniels watched in shock as his beloved family business went up in smoke.
“As soon as I got down there and could see the smoke billowing out all the doors, I obviously knew it was serious," says owner Matt Daniels.
The furniture store dates back to 1929. It’s a landmark in the heart of downtown Burlington. Many people remember buying furniture here.
“It's meant a lot to us. We’re a family business. My folks were in it for 60 years," says Daniels.
No one was inside when the fire started. So no one was hurt. Still, it's a devastating blow for the business and the community.
"It’s always sad when you see a business go out, especially when it goes out because of a fire," says Mary Sutherland of the Sci-Fi Café.
There was furniture in the basement, and the first and second floors. Right now, the owner doesn't know how much of it was destroyed.
Investigators say the fire doesn't look suspicious.