Loading...

Carbon monoxide causes apartment evacuation

Carbon monoxide causes apartment evacuation

By Associated Press. CREATED Nov 19, 2013

DE PERE, Wis. (AP) -- An apartment building in De Pere is evacuated because of carbon monoxide.

Fire officials say at least 30 people were forced from their homes about 9 p.m. Monday after some tenants were found to be suffering from symptoms of possible carbon monoxide poisoning. Two people were taken to the hospital for treatment.

Authorities say a monitor found the CO level in the apartment building above 300 parts per million. Firefighters use breathing equipment when the CO level reaches 200 parts per million.

WBAY-TV reports fire officials say a natural gas heating unit in a storage area was the source of the carbon monoxide. Residents were allowed back home after the building was ventilated for about an hour.

------

Information from: WBAY-TV, http://www.wbay.com