People evacuated after apartment fire in Racine
Stephanie Graham and Michele Fiore
Photo: Video by tmj4.com
RACINE - Some residents of a Racine apartment building can thank their neighbors for saving their lives.
Many were still asleep when firefighters were called to the scene around 7:30am because someone spotted smoke coming from the eaves and vents on the roof.
Flames were contained to two units at 4023 Erie Street and everyone got out safely.
A county transit bus was brought in for residents who had to be evacuated.
There were reports an elderly woman trapped in a bathroom.