Lightning strike causes gas leak, storm damage in Greenfield
Jaclyn Brandt and Yona Gavino
GREENFIELD - At least two homes were evacuated in Greenfield Friday due to a gas leak in caused by a lightning strike.
The lightning occurred near 84th and Forest Home.
The storm was short, but fierce.
“I’ve never experienced seeing the flames from the tree and the smell of gas at the same time,” shares Sandra Banaszak. She evacuated her home after the leak.
“There was no three second interval. It was boom! Gas was in the house everywhere.”
Sandra was in her living room when all of a sudden she heard a loud crackle.
She looked out of her window and saw a tree that caught fire. Scattered all around her front lawn were pieces of the tree trunk.
We Energies eventually crimped the line that broke. Sandra’s gas was shut off Friday evening.'
The storm also caused damaged on the roads.
Sandra’s thankful she stayed off the slippery roads, although she still can’t believe the adrenaline rush the gas leak caused.