Historic Racine building catches fire Saturday
RACINE - A piece of history nearly went down in flames Saturday morning.
The former Women's Club of Racine at 740 Lake Avenue caught fire and were it not for an immediate call to 9-1-1, firefighters say it could have been a total loss.
When firefighters arrived, they found heavy smoke coming from the stage area of the main floor and were able to extinguish the flames and ventilate the building. The building was built in 1929. The fire remains under investigation.
We Energies was called to the scene for assistance.