Manhunt over as Waukesha murder suspect takes his own life

Jaclyn Brandt, Nick Montes, Lacey Crisp, Keller Russell and Jay Sorgi

Photo: Video by

Manhunt over as Waukesha murder suspect takes his own life

CREATED Apr. 22, 2013 - UPDATED: May. 1, 2013

WAUKESHA - The suspect in the Waukesha murder case from last week has taken his own life, according to authorities in Indiana.

Bloomington, Ind. Police say they confronted Eddie Callaway at about 10:30 p.m. Tuesday near a trail.  After being told to keep his hands away from his body, he took a gun and ended his life.

Police in Waukesha believe he shot and killed Shanel Negron, 24, near a busy intersection last week.

Charges were filed against Callaway. He was charged with First Degree Intentional Homicide, and was given $1 million bail.

TODAY'S TMJ4's Nick Montes reports that Negron has a three-year-old child.

According to his rap sheet, this wasn’t the first time he’s threatened to kill a woman.

“She just said that if a black man shows up at her door, please call the police. She didn’t go into detail. She was on her way out to go pick up her kid from school,” said Sarah Lomeli.

That conversation between murder victim Shanel “Nani” Negron and crossing guard Sarah Lomeli happened at 3:45 p.m. April 22. Police say Negron was shot and killed just after 7 p.m. that day.

“I heard gunshots going off. I didn’t think it was a gun, but then I heard cops drive by,” said neighbor Ashley Gawronski.

Callaway was charged with disorderly conduct in December 2010 after police say he beat a man. In February, Callaway’s previous girlfriend asked for a restraining order, pleading with cops saying Callaway had threatened her life and “would hold knives to my throat and a gun to my head.”

Officers focused their investigation on a house at the corner of Moreland Boulevard and Summit Ave. in Waukesha.

On April 22, a hysterical woman ran under the crime scene tape, asking police where her sister was and saying she got a call that her sister had been shot.

After visiting with police, a few minutes later that woman returned, crying saying her sister was dead.

Neighbors didn't hear any gunshots or arguments but noticed the heavy police response around 7:30 p.m. that day.

"They had a SWAT type of a person right to the next house over.  They were walking up the sidewalks in the back," said Mike Moser, who lives nearby.

Court records show Callaway had a temporary restraining order against him, and he wasn't supposed to have any weapons.