Deputy may have saved Waterford High from burning down
Nick Montes and Jay Sorgi
Photo: Video by tmj4.com
WATERFORD - Waterford Fire Department crews have extinguished a fire at Waterford High School, but the fire could have been much worse had a law enforcement officer not stepped in
Students were to have the day off, but faculty and staff were initially asked to report. Students were also to have school Tuesday.
Quick thinking by a Sheriff's deputy stopped the fire from burning down the school.
The fire started in a practice gym at about 5:30 a.m. Monday morning at the school on the 100 block of Field Drive in Waterford.
An official from the Racine County Sheriff's Office said that a deputy saw flashing lights from around the high school while on their beat.
The deputy found smoke in a part of the school. It eventually damaged a room near the practice gym.
The fire department says the school's alarm system isn't connected to any alarm companies or their firehouse.
"I was like, 'Oh my God, my school's on fire! How did this happen? What started it?' It was just surprising to me," said junior Lauren Schildt.
"I saw trucks lined up in there. The hose was hooked up to the fire hydrant, and there was smoke that seemed to be coming out of the gym doors."
Firefighters say even though this was a small fire, they needed help from several departments because of what was inside the practice gym.
"Foam, wrestling pads, foam on the walls, netting for batting cages and that," said Fire Chief Rick Huenning.
The fire chief told TODAY'S TMJ4 at about 6:00 a.m. that the fire was out.
No foul play was suspected.
Check back for more information on this breaking story as details come in to us.