Archdiocese will release documents related to sex abuse lawsuits
WTMJ News Team & the Associated Press
Archbishop Jerome Listecki is shown during an interview Friday, March 8, 2013 at the Archdiocese of Milwaukee in St. Francis, Wis. MARK HOFFMAN/MHOFFMAN@JOURNALSENTINEL.COMPhoto: Image by Mark Hoffman
MILWAUKEE (AP) -- The Milwaukee Archdiocese and Archbishop Jerome Listecki announced Wednesday they would be releasing documents related to sexual abuse lawsuits filed against the Archdiocese of Milwaukee.
New York Cardinal Timothy Dolan says he welcomes the upcoming release of the documents.
Dolan gave a deposition in February in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy case involving the archdiocese that he once served. That deposition is among some 3,000 pages of documents that the archdiocese announced on Wednesday that it would post by July 1.
The archdiocese had been fighting release of the documents, and faced a hearing Thursday in U.S. bankruptcy court in Milwaukee. It declared bankruptcy two years ago as it dealt with about 500 sex abuse claims.
In a statement, Dolan says he was glad to give his deposition and hopes the release of the documents will help in the healing of abuse survivors.