Loading...

Father and son face up to 50 years in prison for baseball bat beating of Racine teen

false

Father and son face up to 50 years in prison for baseball bat beating of Racine teen

By WTMJ News Team. CREATED Mar 26, 2013 - UPDATED: Mar 26, 2013

RACINE - A father and son accused of beating a teenager with a baseball bat were both in court Tuesday.

George Schram, 43, his 19-year-old son Kevin, and a 16-year-old, all face serious charges for the chase and assault of a group of teens early St. Patrick's Day morning.

George and Kevin Schram are charged with following and beating those teens, hitting at least one of them with a baseball bat.

The district attorney changed the charges after detectives found out the victims may have provoked the attack, but prosecutors say that doesn't downplay the severity of what happened.

"I don't understand it. I'm trying to put it together. Piece it together," said George Schram in an interview with TODAY'S TMJ4 just after the attack. "I don't know what's going on. My son says he don't know what's going on, neither."

"They're exposed to over 50 years of prison time, if convicted of everything here,” said Rich Chiapete, the district attorney. “So when we look at a case, we look at what's the most appropriate charge in a case, and this fits a situation."

Both men are in jail with $50,000 bond over their heads.

Last week, as the case was unfolding, George Schram, denied knowing anything about what happened. His interview will air tonight on Live at 6. The 17-year-old victim will also speak.