South side McDonald's raising money for teens lost in West Allis fire
WTMJ News Team
It has been an emotional day for a family who suffered a terrible loss. A 14-year-old boy who died in a house fire was laid to rest Monday.Photo: Video by tmj4.com
WEST ALLIS - A fire broke out in the middle of the night in a house near 57th and Lapham in West Allis on Sunday morning, March 17. Four children were trapped inside, but only two escaped. Michael Gonzales and his friend Isaiha Kobow were unable to get out alive.
At the McDonalds at 27th and Coldspring they're collecting money and more for the families.
“We've also just had customers coming in with cash saying please put this towards the fund,” said Jennifer Mirenda-Mueller with Mcdonald's.
On Tuesday from 2 p.m. until 8 p.m. in the evening 25 percent of the sales will go to both families. Gonzales' brother and three cousins all work at the south side McDonald’s.
“We heard about the struggles they we're having to pay for the funeral and we felt we needed to help them out,” Mirenda-Mueller said.
While nothing will fill the void their hoping the families won't feel the financial strain.
“No parent wants to grieve their child this way,” she added.