Mother blames herself for son, 7, dying in north side fire
Photo: Joelle Creasy
MILWAUKEE - A mother is blaming herself for the death of her seven year old boy during a fire early Saturday morning at a home on the city's north side.
Authorities say seven-year-old Joelle Creasy wasn't able to make it out of the burning home near N. 23rd St. and W. Auer Ave.
His mother, Tameshia Brice, was visiting family in New York when their house caught fire. She says she checked the smoke detector before she left.
"My batteries had died in my smoke detectors (so I) took them out and...I forgot to replace them."
The medical examiner's report says an adult relative started cooking food inside the home, then went upstairs, fell asleep and woke up to the smell of something burning.
That adult saw a fire started, then jumped off the roof of the home -- which is on the second floor -- and four children inside the home following him.
That adult and those four children weren't hurt during the escape.
Authorities believe the home is a total loss.