Fire survivors credit neighbor for saving lives
Photo: Video by tmj4.com
WEST ALLIS - Residents watched late Saturday as firefighters saved what they could from their apartment building.
The neighbors are more like family to each other.
Joe Grisius just returned from Subway with a friend when he saw smoke billowing from the friend's apartment. Joe went to check it out and found the apartment engulfed and spreading.
Grisius said he knew another neighbor was likely asleep, so he kicked down that man's door.
"Adrenaline's going, I kicked it open," Joe recounted to TODAY'S TMJ4 reporter Tom Murray.
"He says 'what are you doing?' and I'm like 'get out of here, there's a fire going on'."
Patty Mosey lived downstairs and had been resting.
"Joe got upstairs and all he did was scream 'Fire! Fire! Get everybody out of the building'," she explained. "If it wasn't for him, I don't think a couple of us would have gotten out."
Everyone did get out safely except for Joe's cat, Bella.
A cigarette mistakenly left burning may have started the blaze.
A sign on the front door warns residents that the building is not safe to live in. The building is located near 83rd and Oklahoma.