Elderly man injured rescuing family from Sheboygan County fire
Photo: Video by tmj4.com
SHEBOYGAN - A Random Lake man was seriously injured trying to help a family whose home caught fire.
It happened just west of Random Lake in rural Sheboygan County around 5:30 Saturday evening.
Maria Zavala and her three children were inside the duplex they rent when she notice smoke coming from her son's room.
Luckily, he was in another room.
Maria ran outside to get a hose, thinking she might be able put the fire out.
That's when she said her landord, a man she thought to be in is 70's or 80's, came to help. He lives in the home directly behind her.
But as he entered the home, Maria said the smoke was so thick, she thinks he was unable to see the stairs to the basement and fell down them.
He suffered serious head injuries. Rescue Crews with Silver Lake Fire Department found the man and pulled him to safety. He was taken by ambulance to a nearby hospital, then airlifted to Froedert Hospital in Milwaukee.
Late Saturday night, a family member told TODAY'S TMJ4 the man remained unconscious and on a ventilator.
Maria and her children made it out safely but are unable to live in their duplex.
And now, she worries about the man who came to her rescue. Investigators don't yet know what started the fire.
The second half of the duplex was not seriously damaged.