Loading...

Man walking dog helped save Richfield family from house fire

Man walking dog helped save Richfield family from house fire

By Jay Sorgi. CREATED Apr 25, 2012

RICHFIELD - The Washington County Sheriff's Department says that a neighbor who was walking his dog woke up a woman and two children who escaped a fire that engulfed their home.

The fire happened at about 11:45 p.m. Tuesday night on the 3400 block of Bark Lake Road in the Village of Richfield.

According to a sheriff's sergeant, the neighbor was walking past the home when he saw the home's garage had caught fire.  He tried, but failed, to put out the fire.

He then went to the front door of the home and woke up the woman who owns the home.  She and her two children then evacuated.

Authorities say the fire spread to the home, and that the house is a total loss.

Officials estimate at least $200,000 in damage.  They have not yet found a cause to the fire.

Four fire departments assisted in putting out the fire.