Source: Braun appeal of positive drug test begins
The Associated Press & WTMJ News Team
Ryan Braun. | Photo: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
NEW YORK- Ryan Braun's appeal of his positive drug test began Thursday before baseball arbitrator Shyam Das.
The start of the National League MVP's appeal, first reported by the New York Daily News, was confirmed by a person familiar with the session who spoke on condition of anonymity because the proceeding was not to be made public.
Meanwhile, manager Ron Roenicke is upset this news was made public before Braun had a chance to defend himself. "I always take issue with things when they leak out. I don't understand it and I think we should do a better job finding out how it leaks," said Roenicke to Newsradio 620 WTMJ on "Brewers Weekly".
Roenicke went on to say that, "If this is not true with Ryan, certainly it's very damaging. It's going to be damaging for him, he's going to hear about it all year," said Roenicke.
Calls to Braun's agent, Nez Balelo, and Major League Baseball spokesman Pat Courtney were not returned.
If the test is not overturned, Braun would be suspended for Milwaukee's first 50 games. When the positive drug test became public last month, Braun had a spokesman issue a statement saying there were circumstances supporting "Ryan's complete innocence."
Braun is to receive his MVP Award at a BBWAA dinner Saturday.