Crews in Shorewood battle gasoline leak for second day
The WTMJ News Team
SHOREWOOD - The Village of Shorewood is keeping parts of the area around Wilson Drive shut down Thursday morning after a gasoline leak.
Emergency crews have narrowed down the area, but have yet to pinpoint the exact source.
The strong smell of gasoline remains in the area around North Wilson and East Capitol Drives.
People who were evacuated have returned to their homes, but the problem was far from over early Thursday.
Crews got the call around 10:00 a.m. Wednesday that people on Wilson Drive in Shorewood smelled gasoline.
"We arrived. Our crews found that it was quite strong, called for additional crews," said North Shore Fire Chief Robert Whitaker.
The North Shore Fire Department had been at it ever since with meter readings showing high concentrations of gasoline vapor.
Fire crews are pumping water and air into the sewer system to clear it.
"We have it pinned down to an area, but we're not positive the exact source of the product right now," said Chief Whitaker.
He couldn't comment on where that area is exactly, but TODAY'S TMJ4 did see the pumps roped off at a Citgo Station on Capitol Drive.
The problem they're running into is that they'll stop flushing the system for a little while, and then the meter readings jump back up again.
Katherine Stephens owns a design business in a building that was evacuated, and noticed something smelled odd when she opened the door.
"When I opened by business door it did smell like gas, so I left the door open just to kind of air it out," said Stephens.
Crews continue to air out and flush out the sewer system until the source can be stopped, and that isn't likely to stop anytime soon.
TODAY'S TMJ4 reports that if you smell gasoline in the area, you don't face a real health risk, it's just unpleasant, but you should call 911 and crews will come out to inspect the area.