Last week, every team’s quest for championship hardware continued on as Level 1 of the WIAA playoffs kicked off in style with some big performances and some fantastic finishes.
The stakes were raised even higher this week in the second round. This week’s edition of the Frenzy features highlights from the following contests:
Division 1: Kenosha Indian Trail at Franklin
It was a close one for the Franklin Sabers who found themselves in the middle of a defensive battle at home Friday night against Kenosha Indian Trail.
The Sabers found themselves down at home with the two minute warning looming.
With time running low, quarterback Sean McGuire reached the endzone on a one-yard run to put his team up 17-14 with 2:16 remaining.
That score would hold and the Sabers advance on to their next test.
Division 2: South Milwaukee at Waterford
On a very wet night, this game between the South Milwaukee Rockets and Waterford would not see a point until there were mere seconds left in the first half.
South Milwaukee would draw up a short play for wide receiver Mitchell Dess to get on the board first, 7-0.
The Wolverines would wake up in the second half, doubling that. Their defense would hold on as they put an end to a great season by the Rockets. Waterford rolls on, 14-7.
Division 2: Sussex Hamilton at Homestead
Through three quarters, the Sussex Hamilton Chargers had the reigning Division II champions, the Homestead Highlanders, on the ropes.
In the fourth quarter, Homestead snapped out of their slump. The Highlanders got two fourth quarter touchdowns from running backs Eric Wade and Nick Allen.
The Highlanders prevail, 28-20 and move deeper into the postseason.
Division 2: Waukesha West at Whitefish Bay
The Waukesha West Wolverines has given defenses fits for most of the year. One of the culprits behind the Wolverines’ success has been their star running back Elijah Forte.
Forte’s impressive season continued to roll on as he rolled over Whitefish Bay. He rushed for 161 yards.
After leading 14-6 after three quarters, the Wolverines exploded offensively. They scored 22 points in the final quarter and would win 28-14 on the road. They take on Waterford in the next level of the playoffs.
Division 3: Greendale at Brown Deer
Greendale’s quest for perfection continued on Friday against Brown Deer. The Panthers pounced on Brown Deer once again in their rematch.
Quarterback Josh Ringelberg contributed four touchdowns and Greendale advances with a 31-0 win over Brown Deer.
Division 3: Wisconsin Lutheran at Plymouth
It was a big night for Plymouth wide receiver Zac Cain, who pulled down two touchdowns for Plymouth.
Plymouth ended up losing in the yard category but that meant nothing to the defense as they held Lutheran to just a touchdown.
The Panthers win, 21-7 and now advance into the next round.
Division 3: Pewaukee vs. Waukesha Catholic Memorial at Waukesha South
The reigning Team of the Week, the Pewaukee Pirates took on Catholic Memorial at Waukesha South for a shot at advancing on to the next round.
The Crusaders had other things in mind for the Pirates Friday night as they got things going early and often.
The Catholic Memorial defense dominated for most of the night as they held the Pirates scoreless through three quarters.
By time the Pirates managed to score, it would be too late. The Crusaders would advance Friday, winning 37-13.
Here are some other scores from games around the Milwaukee area, courtesy the Associated Press:
- Appleton North 34, Bay Port 14
- Germantown 34, Fond du Lac 7
- Hartland Arrowhead 45, Manitowoc Lincoln 17
- Milwaukee Marquette 14, Lake Geneva Badger 3
- Mukwonago 35, Sun Prairie 30
- Oconomowoc 27, Middleton 24
- Holmen 14, La Crosse Central 7
- Kimberly 43, Cedarburg 14
- Menasha 42, Ashwaubenon 22
- Oshkosh North 17, DeForest 7
- Appleton Xavier 30, West De Pere 28
- La Crosse Logan 21, Reedsburg Area 15
- Monona Grove 41, Edgerton 21
- Mount Horeb/Barneveld 40, Lodi 14
- Seymour 34, Waupaca 7
- Big Foot 38, Clinton 7
- Ellsworth 38, Black River Falls 26
- Freedom 30, Campbellsport 8
- Manitowoc Roncalli 20, Little Chute 7
- Nekoosa 31, Columbus 6
- Platteville 31, Brodhead/Juda 21
- Somerset 28, Prescott 14
- Winneconne 34, Wautoma 20
- Amherst 42, Westby 16
- Bloomer 27, Chetek-Weyerhaeuser 0
- Cedar Grove-Belgium 50, Bonduel 7
- Lancaster 34, Laconia 13
- Stanley-Boyd 28, Fall Creek 21
- Stratford 28, Arcadia 14
- Brookwood 27, Iowa-Grant 7
- Darlington 41, Cuba City 0
- Hurley 36, Athens 0
- Iola-Scandinavia 46, Algoma 27
- Lourdes Academy 39, Ozaukee 6
- Shiocton 53, Coleman 6
- Webster 14, Edgar 6
- Alma/Pepin 50, Greenwood/Granton 12
- Black Hawk 42, De Soto 0
- Burlington Catholic Central 20, Fall River 0
- Glenwood City 42, Owen-Withee 21
- Lake Country Lutheran 35, Almond-Bancroft 16
- New Lisbon 22, Loyal 21
- Pittsville 18, Independence/Gilmanton 0
- Potosi 40, North Crawford 8
Jay Sorgi contributed to this report.