RECIPE #4287 Sweet Potato Tart
Chef Tim Place / Boxwood Bistro
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
1 ea. 9" Deep Dish Pie Crust
For the Sweet Potatoes
2 each Sweet Potatoes, Peel, cut in half lengthwise & slice ¼" thick
2 Tbsp. Salt
For the Caramelized Onion
1 each Medium Yellow Onion, peel & cut in half, then julienne
1/4 cup Vegetable oil
To taste Salt & black pepper
1 Tbsp. Sugar
1 cup Shredded Cheddar
1/4 cup Grated Parmesan
For the Custard
3 ea large eggs
1 cup Heavy Cream
2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1. Place sweet potatoes & salt in a medium pot of hot water and bring to a boil. Continue to boil for about 10 minutes, or until potatoes are done.
- 2. While potatoes are cooking, heat a medium skillet over high heat. Add oil & then onions, salt & pepper & sugar and stir to incorporate. Continue to move onions around pan until they area a nice golden brown. Remove to a holding pan & set aside.
- 3. Drain through strainer and keep in strainer for 5 minutes to make sure all water in drained. Place in pie shell and spread out evenly. Place caramelized onions on top and spread out evenly. Then top with cheese and set aside.
- 4. Place eggs in a medium bowl and whip. Add remaining ingredients and whip to incorporate. Using a ladle, distribute custard over pie ingredients.
- 5. Place in pre-heated oven for 30 minutes. As ovens cook differently, you can test readiness by sticking a small paring knife in the middle. If it comes out clean, the tart is ready. If not continue cooking in 4 minute increments until done.
- 6. Remove from oven and place on a rack for about 5 minutes to allow to set.
- 7. Slice in 6 or 8 pieces and serve.