RECIPE # 5120 - APPLE SAUSAGE WINTER SALAD - Tuesday, January 28, 2014
CREATED Jan 28, 2014
RHONDA VINCENT / BLUEGRASS STAR
- 2 teaspoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 apple chicken sausage links, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 1 (7 oz.) package Martha White® Sweet Yellow Honey Cornbread & Muffin Mix
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 Fuji or Honeycrisp apples, cored and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 cups packed baby kale
- 1/2 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Crisco® 100% Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider
- Salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- For sausage: HEAT oven to 425°F. Place 8-inch Lodge® cast iron skillet over medium low heat. Cook sausage in olive oil for 10 minutes or until heated through and lightly browned, stirring frequently. Make cornbread while sausage is cooking.
- For cornbread: WHISK together cornbread mix, milk, egg, sage and pecans in medium bowl. Remove sausage from pan and drain briefly on paper towels. Set aside and keep warm. Pour cornbread mixture into the hot pan. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- STIR together apples and lemon juice in medium bowl. Combine kale, onion, cheese, sausage, apples and cornbread cubes in large bowl.
- For dressing: WHISK oil with vinegar, cider, salt and pepper. Pour over salad. Toss gently to coat. Serve immediately.