RECIPE # 4386 - BEET SALAD, Friday, October 16, 2009
JOE SHAW / MIRO DISTRICT
4 large purple beets, roasted, see below for recipe
1 dozen baby beets, roasted, see below for recipe
4-6 oz. good blue cheese
4 oz. candied pecans, see below for recipe
1/2 lb. arugula or small leafy lettuce
3 oz. sherry vinaigrette or your favorite dressing, see below for recipe
To assemble the salad:
- Slice the large beets and shingly in the middle of the plate.
- Cut the baby beets in half and arrange 3 pieces at 10:00 o'clock and 2:00 o'clock on the plate in relationship to the sliced large beets.
- Spoon some of the vinaigrette over the beets, reserving about 2 tbsp.
- Crumble the blue cheese over the beets.
- Scatter the pecans over the salad.
- Toss the greens in the remaining dressing and mound a small portion atop sliced beets.
Rub the beets, skin intact, with vegetable oil. Spread them on a flat pan or cookie sheet and place into a 375 degree preheated oven. Cook 20 to 30 minutes for baby beets and 40 to 50 minutes for larger beets or until the beet can be penetrated with a pairing knife or skewer without resistance (as per baked potato). Allow to cool. With a tea towel or paper towel, scrape skins away and set aside until ready to assemble.
For Candied Pecans:
4-6 oz. shelled pecan halves
2 tbsp. melted butter
1 tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary
In a skillet, melt the butter to hot. Add in the pecans and stir to coat. Sprinkle in the seasonings and stir to coat. Continue cooking on top of the stove for about 2 minutes, moving the pan so as not to burn the nuts. Remove the pan to the middle rack of a hot oven for 5 minutes more. Remove from oven and cool.
For the Vinaigrette:
1 shallot chopped or 1 tbsp. minced red onion
2 tbsp. good sherry vinegar
1/2 tbsp. Dijon style mustard
1/2 cup blended oil or 3 oz vegetable oil and 3 oz Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Place first three ingredients in a stainless steel or glass bowl and slowly add oil while stirring vigorously.