RECIPE # 5057 TACOS AL PASTOR Tue. Aug. 20, 2013
CREATED Aug 20, 2013
JOHN KORMAN / CHUY'S
Yield: 6 servings, 4 tacos per serving
Pork butt 10-12 lbs
Pineapple juice 1 Quart
Kosher salt 1 TBS
Salt 2 TBS
Chili Powder 1 TBS
Cumin 1 tsp
Red chile sauce 1 cup
Fresh green chiles, roasted, diced 1 cup
Yellow onion, finely diced 1 lb (2 medium sized)
Cilantro, chopped (stems removed) 3 oz (1 bunch)
Flour tortillas 5" 24
1. Cut pork butt into 2" x 3" cubes. Do not remove the fat. Place in 8x13 baking dish.
2. Combine pineapple juice, red chile sauce, green chiles and spices in a separate bowl.
3. Add marinate on top of pork butt, toss together to coat pork thoroughly.
4. Cover baking dish with aluminum foil and make sure the pan is air-tight.
5. Marinade for 12-24 hours in refrigerator.
Pastor Pork Cooking/Shredding Procedure
1. After pork butt has marinated, prepare it for cooking.
3. Place covered baking dish in oven, cooking for approximately 2 ½ - 3 hours, until the internal temperature is
4. After cooking, uncover and let meat rest for 10 minutes.
5. Shred the meat by pulling it apart by hand. The pieces should be torn into small bite-size pieces. When shredding
large pockets of fat should be discarded. Small amounts of fat are fine and add to the flavor.
2. Remove stems from cilantro, finely chop and add to onions.
Tacos al Pastor Plate Presentation
1. Start building your tacos. Reheat the 5" flour tortillas in a skillet on the stovetop.
2. Add ¼ cup of pork mix to each tortilla.
3. Top each with 1 TBS of onion and cilantro mix.
4. Serve with rice, refried beans and guacamole.
5. Yield is 6 servings with 4 tacos per serving.