RECIPE # 5174 PEACH-A-COLADA CUPCAKES Mon. May 19, 2014
For Peach Cupcakes
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
½ cup packed light brown sugar
3 large eggs
¾ cup whole milk
½ cup sour cream
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1 tbsp. rum, optional
2 cups peeled and diced ripe but firm peaches
= = =
Coconut Rum Buttercream Frosting
4 large egg whites
1 cup sugar
½ tsp salt
1 lbs. unsalted butter, softened and cut into 16 pieces
½ cup cream of coconut, such as Coco Lopez
1 tsp coconut extract
2 tbsp. light rum
Additional sliced fresh peaches for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350. Line two 12-cup cupcake tins with paper liners
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter with both
sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy, 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well
after each additional and stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
4. Add one-third of the flour mixture to the batter, mixing to combine, followed by the milk,
another third of the flour mixture, the sour cream and the final third of the flour mixture. Mix in
the vanilla and rum until all ingredients are fully incorporated and the batter is smooth. Fold in
5. Divide the batter among the prepared cupcake tins, filling each cup about 2/3 full. Bake
cupcakes in the center of the oven until tops are puffed and spring back when lightly touched,
18-20 minutes. Cool cupcakes in the pans for 10 minutes, then transfer them to wire racks to
6. While cupcakes cool, prepare the butter cream. In the metal of glass bowl of an electric mixer
combine the egg whites, sugar and salt.
7. Set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, whisking constantly until the sugar has
dissolved and the mixture is very warm to the touch.
8. Attach the bowl to the electric mixer and fit the mixer with the whisk attachment. Beat the
warm egg white mixture at high speed until the bowl has cooled and the mixture is thick, firm
and glossy, about 8 minutes.
9. Reduce the speed of the mixer to medium-high and beat in the butter, 1 piece at a time, fully
incorporating each piece before adding another
10. Beat in the cream of coconut, coconut extract and rum and continue to beat for 1-2 minutes,
until the ingredients are well combined and the buttercream is smooth.
11. Place buttercream in a piping bag and pipe the buttercream decoratively onto the cupcakes.
Top each cupcake with a fresh peach slice for garnish.