RECIPE # 4891 APPLE PUFFS w/CUSTARD SAUCE Fri. Sept. 13, 2012
LYNNE TOLLEY / MISS MARY BOBO'S BOARDING HOUSE
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 medium to large apples (Golden Delicious), peeled, cored, and each cut into 8 wedges
- 1 sheet (1/2 of the 17.3-ounce box) frozen puff pastry, thawed in refrigerator over night
- 1 egg white, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- Whiskey Custard Sauce (recipe follows)
In a small bowl, stir together sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
On microwave-safe plate, arrange apple wedges in single layer. Microwave (high) for 1 to 2 minutes or until apples are fork-tender and begin to release moisture. Place wedges on paper towel-lined plate; pat dry and set aside.
On lightly floured surface, roll pastry sheet to smooth creases. Using 9-inch round cake pan, cut circle from pastry. Cut pastry circle into 16 wedges; discard pastry scraps. Reserve 2 teaspoons of the cinnamon/sugar; sprinkle remaining mixture over pastry wedges. Place 1 apple wedge at wide end of each pastry edge; roll up crescent-style. Place on parchment-lined baking sheet; brush tops with egg white mixture. Sprinkle almond slices and reserved cinnamon/sugar mix over tops. Bake in 375 degrees oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Serve warm with Whiskey Custard Sauce.
Whiskey Custard Sauce
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon Jack Daniel Whiskey
In a medium microwave-safe bowl, whisk together all ingredients. Microwave (high) whisking every 30 seconds until mixture thickens and coats back of spoon, about 1 ½ to 2 minutes. Makes about 1 cup.