RECIPE # 4799 TRES LECHES CAKE Thursday March, 29, 2012
JOHN KORMAN / CHUY'S
TRES LECHES CAKE
Eggs 12 ea
Salt ¼ tablespoon
Sugar 3 cups
Flour 3 cups
Baking Powder 1 tablespoon + 1 ½ teaspoon
Vanilla 1 tablespoon + 1 ½ teaspoon
Whole Milk 1 ½ cups
Margarine 1 ½ tablespoons
Evaporated Milk 3 (three) -12 oz. cans
Condensed Milk 1 ½ (one and one-half) - 14 oz. cans
Heavy Cream 3 cups
Vanilla 1 tablespoon
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Crack open the eggs and separate the whites from yolks. Hold whites in the fridge for later.
- Add the sugar to the yolks and beat with the hand mixer until smooth.
- Add flour, baking powder, vanilla and milk and mix well.
- In a new bowl whip the egg whites and salt until they form peaks.
- With a rubber spatula GENTLY fold egg whites into cake batter.
- Grease the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch pan with the margarine.
- Pour cake batter in prepared pan and bake at 350° for approximately 30 min. Check doneness by inserting a toothpick into the cake and seeing if it comes out clean.
- After taking cake out of the oven, poke holes every 1" with a straw or make small slits with a butter knife throughout the cake.
- Combine all remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the milk mixture over the cake.
- Cut cake into 12 pieces and cool.
Cream Fraiche (pronounced Fresh)
Heavy Cream 4 cups (1 quart)
Buttermilk ½ cup
Sugar 1 ½ cups
Vanilla 2 tablespoons
Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl or stand mixer bowl. Whip with hand mixer or in stand mixer for 30 seconds.
Plate Presentation: Strawberries; Washed, capped and sliced, Caramel sauce drizzled.
Once the cake has cooled, apply to the top of the cake and garnish with caramel and strawberries.