RECIPIE #4313 - BAKED TROPICAL CORNMEAL PUDDING WITH CARAMEL SAUCE
CREATED May 26, 2009
AL ANDERSON / BROADWAY BREWHOUSE & MOJO GRILL
- - 2 cups whole milk
- - (1) 14 oz. bag of caramel candies
- - 2 cups buttermilk
- - 1/2 cup of water
- - 4 tsp butter
- - 1/2 tsp salt
- - 1/3 cup sugar
- - 1/3 cup brown sugar
- - 3/4 cup cornmeal
- - 5 large eggs
- - 2 oz. dark rum
- - 6 oz. dried tropical fruit
- - 1 cup orange juice
- - 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- - Butter for greasing baking dish
- - Fresh Fruit
Cooking Preparation for Cornmeal Pudding:
- 1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 F
- 2. In a medium size bowl place the dried fruit and pour the orange juice into the bowl.
- 3. In a medium size saucepan over medium heat, warm the milk, whisking constantly.
- 4. Add the butter, salt, sugar and cornmeal.
- 5. Continue to whisk constantly until the mixture is smooth and thick enough to coat the back of the spoon, then remove from heat.
- 6. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and rum. Slowly whisk in ½ cup of the milk mixture. In a slow steady strem, pour the egg mixture into the sauce pan with the milk mixture, whisking constantly.
- 7. Add the dried tropical fruit, orange juice and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- 8. Pour into a greased 13 x 9 baking dish and bake 40-45 minutes, until set. Allow to cool slightly,slice and serve with fresh fruit and caramel sauce.
Caramel Sauce Preparation:
- 1. Remove wrappers from caramels
- 2. Combine caramels and water in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally,until smooth and well blended.
- 3. Cool until thickened slightly;serve warm caramel sauce over tropical cornmeal pudding.