RECIPE # 4217 - FRUIT BREAD PUDDING - Thursday, October 23, 2008
LYNN SIMMONS / PHOTOFOODS
4 cups mixed blackberries, chopped apples, chopped pears
3/4 cup soft light brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
3-1/2 ounces water
8 oz white bread, thinly sliced, crusts removed
1) Place the prepared fruit in a large saucepan with the soft light brown sugar, cinnamon and water, stir and bring to a boil.
2) Reduce the heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes so that the fruits soften but still hold their shape.
3) Meanwhile, line the base and sides of a 1-1/2 cup pudding bowl with the bread slices, ensuring that there are no gaps between the pieces of bread.
4) Spoon the fruit into the center of the bread-lined bowl and cover the fruit with the remaining bread.
5) Place a saucer on top of the bread and weight it down. Leave the pudding to chill in the refrigerator overnight.
6) Turn the fruit bread pudding out on to a serving plate and serve immediately.
NOTE: You can use thin slices of plain sponge cake instead of the sliced bread. The sponge will turn a pinkish color from the fruit juices and the brown edges of the cake will form an attractive pattern of irregular brown lines.