RECIPE # 4882 TOSTONES / FRIED PLANTAINS Tue. Aug. 28, 2012
B.J. LOFTBACK / RIFF'S FINE STREET FOOD
TOSTONES (PLANTAIN CHIPS/FRIED PLANTAINS)
4 Green Plantains
Kosher Salt or Cinnamon Sugar
1) Heat oil to 300 degrees
2) Peel plantains by cutting off both ends, and with a paring knife slice just into the rind down the length of the plantain. Peel off the rind.
3) Slice each plantain into 2" pieces. The bigger the piece the larger your chip will be, cut to your preference.
4) Fry the plantains in the 300 degree oil for 3 minutes and drain on paper towels
5) Heat oil to 375 degrees
6) When the fried plantain chunks are cool enough to handle, smash in a tortilla press or between two plates to a thin chip. Lay on paper towels until ready to fry.
7) Fry the plantain chips in 375 degree oil until crispy (about 3-4 minutes) Flip the chips part way through for even cooking.
8) Drain chips on rack or paper towels. Season while hot. These will stay crispy for quite a while. Enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce.
CAYENNE HONEY MUSTARD
1 part Honey
1 part Dijon or favorite mustard
Add Cayenne to spicy preference
You may adjust honey or mustard proportions to how sweet or savory you prefer. Enjoy!