RECIPE #4597 - PORTOBELLO & BACON PINWHEELS, Thursday, February 3, 2011
CHEF ERIK LINDELOF / PIE IN THE SKY
Preheat your oven to 400° F.
-8 oz. pizza dough (pre-made pizza dough from your local grocery store or from Pie in the Sky)
-1/2 cup flour
-1/4 cup olive oil
-2 oz. pre-cooked crumbled bacon
-3 oz. crumbled Gorgonzola Cheese (you can substitute with blue cheese)
-3 oz. of sliced Portobello mushrooms
-2 oz washed Baby Spoon Spinach
-3 oz Chipotle Ranch dressing (recipe shown below)
Begin by rolling your dough into a tight ball.
- Next, throw a layer of flour down on a clean counter or cutting board. Knead the dough slowly outward, shaping it into a rectangle. You can use a rolling pin or your fingers to work the dough, but remember, stretching excessively from the middle can create thin spots or holes!!!
- Once the dough is approximately 12" X 6", set it aside.
- Next, sauté the sliced Portobello mushroom in a 12" saute pan for 2 minutes with olive oil until soft. Add the spinach and a pinch of Kosher salt and toss for another 30 seconds or until the spinach is well blended.
- Spread the mushroom and spinach mixture evenly over the dough.
- Add the pre-cooked bacon and crumbled Gorgonzola, and spread all ingredients to within 1/4" of the edge.
- Roll the dough up lengthwise, keeping the roll tight. Brush the edge lightly with water to seal it and slice the roll up into 1/2" pieces.
- Lay the pieces down on an oiled sheet pan and brush lightly with oil.
- Bake in the preheated 400° oven for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
Chipotle Ranch Dressing:
- Whisk 1 tablespoon of Ranch dressing powder mix with 1 cup of buttermilk until the powder is thoroughly dissolved.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of ground Cayenne Pepper and 1 Tbsp Chipotle Tabasco Sauce. Mix until well incorporated.
- Add 1 cup of mayonnaise and whisk until homogenous. Do not over mix, as this will cause the sauce to be too thin.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
Honey Jalapeno Chicken Wings
1/4 cup fine chopped Jalapeno (fresh or canned)
2 tablespoons of your favorite honey
2 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon molasses
3 tablespoons white vinegar
3 tablespoons of your favorite BBQ Sauce
1 teaspoon vegetable oil (for sautéing)
2 quarts vegetable oil (for deep frying)
10 raw chicken wings
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
1. Season chicken wings with kosher salt by tossing inside a bowl to ensure even distribution.
2. Bake wings on an oven pan @ 300 degrees for 30 min, or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
3. While wings are baking, heat vegetable oil in a heavy pot or tabletop fryer to 350 degrees.
4. Using a whisk, mix together the honey, sugar, molasses, white vinegar and BBQ Sauce in a mixing bowl.
5. After wings have cooked in the oven, carefully place them into the hot fry oil and cook for 1-1 1/2 minutes, or until skin is crispy.
6. Remove wings from fry oil and either drain thoroughly or place in a pan lined with paper towels to soak up any excess oil.
7. Preheat a sauté pan over medium high heat for 1 minute.
8. Pour 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil into the sauté pan and swirl around to coat pan evenly.
9. Carefully add the chopped jalapeno to the sauté pan, stir vigorously for 30 seconds.
10. Add the sauce to the sauté pan and blend the jalapenos together with the sauce.
11. Add the crispy wings and reduce the down heat down to medium.
12. Continue to stir and toss the wings in the pan until the sauce has reduced and caramelized onto the wings, approximately 2-3 minutes.
Pour yourself a tall glass of water, get a big stack of napkins, and ENJOY!!
CAUTION: LICK YOUR LIPS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!