TUNA WITH SHIITAKE GINGER SAUCE
Joe Townsend/Plumgood Food
1 8-oz tuna steak
1 T + 1 t sesame oil, divided
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 c minced green onion
1 package (3.5-oz) shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1 T ginger root, minced
1 c chicken broth
1/3 c fresh orange juice
1 T rice vinegar
1 T mellow miso
Salt & black pepper
3 oz baby spinach
1. Rinse tuna in cool water and pat dry. Sprinkle each side with salt and black pepper.
2. In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil over high. Add tuna and sear, about 2 minutes per side for rare. Remove tuna and keep warm; reduce the heat to medium.
3. Add garlic, green onions, and shiitake mushrooms to the skillet and saute, stirring, about 2 minutes.
4. Add ginger, broth, orange juice, rice vinegar, and miso, stirring to combine. Simmer the sauce gently for 5 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon sesame oil in another skillet over medium heat. Add the spinach and stir until it begins to wilt. Divide lightly wilted spinach between 2 plates.
6. Slice the tuna and divide it between the 2 plates, arranging it in a fan over the spinach. Drizzle the shiitake ginger sauce over the tuna and spinach, and serve.