RECIPE # 4243 - APPLE-CHEDDAR BRAID - December 23, 2008
JON ASHTON / CABOT CHEESE
6 oz 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cs shredded 75% or 50% Reduced Fat Sharp Cheddar Cheese (6 ounces)
2/3 c apple butter
2/3 c applesauce
2 t cornstarch
1 (13.2-ounce) tube refrigerated crusty Italian bread dough or (13.8-ounce) tube refrigerated pizza crust dough
2 T honey
2 T sliced almonds
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine cheeses in a small bowl. In a separate bowl, combine apple butter, applesauce and cornstarch; set both mixtures aside.
3. Unroll dough onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray and press into a large rectangle. Spread cheese mixture lengthwise down center third of dough. Top cheese mixture evenly with apple butter mixture.
4. Make diagonal cuts, 1 1/2 inches apart, on opposite sides of filling to within 1/2 inch of filling. Fold strips alternately over filling from each side, overlapping at an angle.
5. Drizzle honey over loaf and top evenly with almonds.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm.
Makes 1 loaf for about 12 servings