Weather Alerts 42 View »

Officials Seek Evidence At Site Of Deadly Explosion

Officials Seek Evidence At Site Of Deadly Explosion

CREATED Feb 12, 2014

LEBANON, Tenn. (AP/NewsChannel 5) - Authorities investigating a deadly explosion at a Wilson County home continue searching the site for evidence.

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation said an unknown package containing an explosive was delivered to the home on Vance Lane in Lebanon, where it exploded around 5 p.m. Monday. Authorities said 74-year-old Jon Setzer was killed, and 72-year-old Marion Setzer was critically injured and taken by LifeFlight to Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville.

TBI Director Mark Gwyn said investigators will be at the site day and night to resolve the case quickly.

Wilson County Sheriff Robert Bryan said an $8,000 reward is being offered for information leading to an arrest and conviction in the case. Tips can be called into the TBI at 1-800-TBI-FIND.

Although it's believed to have been a targeted attack, authorities urged the public to be vigilant.

"We're asking the general public if anyone receives any type of package with suspicious circumstances, please contact their local law enforcement jurisdiction," Sheriff Bryan said.

Agents from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives were also investigating the blast at the home on a rural cul-de-sac. Crews in white hazardous materials suits were walking around the property, and official vehicles filled the yard of the red brick two-story home with white dormers on Tuesday.

Agency spokesman Michael Knight said investigators have ruled out accidental causes and that authorities searched the property Monday night but found no other explosives. He said it appears to be an isolated blast.

The house is intact but several rooms were damaged by the blast, Knight said.

Investigators were processing evidence at the scene and interviewing neighbors, Knight said.

The home is located not far from McClain Christian Academy. The principal of the school said the explosion was so strong that she thought someone backed into the school building.

David Hughen arrived at his house about an hour after the blast, and noticed that the front and back windows of the nearby home had been shattered.

"With the house as well built as it was, it had to be a huge explosion," Hughen said of the home built four years ago. "It's just a huge mystery that a terrible thing has happened to good people."

Another neighbor, Charles Thompson, said the blast in the small neighborhood has left him shaken.

"It didn't appear that they were the kind of people this would happen to," Thompson said. "It's very scary."

(Copyright The Associated Press/NewsChannel 5.)