Students Evacuated By Small Fire At Goodlettsville Elementary
GOODLETTSVILLE, Tenn. – Some elementary school students were evacuated on the first day of school due to a small fire.
The electrical fire broke out inside a teacher bathroom at Goodlettsville Elementary School on Donald Street around 8:15 a.m. Wednesday.
“Right in the middle of morning announcements, there was a teacher walking by a teacher bathroom. She thought she smelled something electrical, so she investigated and found some smoke,” said Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools Communications Specialist Joe Bass. “And she quickly grabbed the fire extinguisher and put the fire out.”
Students were brought outside before being taken to a nearby church until the smoke was cleared from the building.
Officials said students returned to the building around 9:30 a.m.
Repair teams responded to the scene. The estimated damage was not immediately known.
No injuries were reported.
Goodlettsville Elementary has students from kindergarten through the fourth grade.
Approximately 85,000 students at MNPS reported for a half day Wednesday. They will be off Thursday for Election Day, and will report for their first full day Friday.