Loading...

Weather Alerts 3 View »

Memphis Fire: Kids Playing With Lighter Start Fire

Memphis Fire: Kids Playing With Lighter Start Fire

CREATED Jul 19, 2014
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) - Memphis firefighters said an apartment fire started when three small children were playing with a cigarette lighter in the bedroom.

Firefighters credited two apartment staff members for pulling the children, ages 2, 5 and 6, from the burning two-story building on Friday afternoon.

The Memphis Fire Department said in a release that the residence did not have a working smoke detector, and three units were damaged by smoke, fire or water.

About 40 firefighters and emergency personnel responded to the scene at Pendleton West Apartments. No one was hurt.

The fire was brought under control at around 4:30 p.m. The building sustained about $25,000 in structural damage.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.)