Garth Brooks To Open World Tour In Chicago On September 4
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Country legend Garth Brooks will open his comeback world tour in Chicago on September 4.
The show, announced Tuesday, will start at 7:30 p.m. at Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Illinois. The tour has been billed as Garth Brooks with special guest Trisha Yearwood.
"As an entertainer, you get asked a lot 'what are the best cities to play?' Without hesitation, I rattle five or six of the best places to play and that list always includes Chicago," Brooks said in a statement Tuesday. "It is the perfect city to launch the world tour."
Tickets go on sale Friday, July 25 at 10 a.m. through Ticketmaster. There is a six ticket maximum. After surcharges, each will cost $65.50.
More dates are expected to be announced in the coming days and weeks.
Andy Roberts, a fan from Atlanta, had announced the city on his Twitter on Monday following a call from Brooks, but no other details were released. Brooks had told Andy that he would be the first person to know the first tour date after the janitorial-service owner asked him the question during one of Brooks' final shows at the Wynn Las Vegas.
Last week, the 52-year-old singer announced he had signed a new deal with Sony Music as well as plans to produce new music for the first time in more than a decade. He also said he will make his songs available in a digital format for the first time.
Brooks said his new record would be a double album and likely available sometime around Black Friday.
Brooks also said he will make his songs available digitally on his own website. One of music's top-selling artists, Brooks remains one of the last holdouts to refuse to put his music on iTunes.
He said in the past that he had no animosity toward Apple, but disagreed with its approach to selling music.
Others were like Brooks and refused to join iTunes until reaching deals, including AC/DC, the Beatles, Radiohead and Led Zeppelin. ITunes was launched in 2001.
In December, Brooks said that he would go on tour in 2014. Brooks retired from touring in 2001 to spend time with children. As of May, they have all finished high school.
On Tuesday, the country music star had to call off five Irish concerts after a battle between venue owners and local residents that became a national furor.
More than 400,000 tickets had been sold for the gigs, due to start at Croke Park stadium on July 25.
The stint had been billed as a "Comeback Special" for the 52-year-old superstar after more than a decade of semi-retirement.
Brooks was originally scheduled to play two shows, and when the number of performances was increased to cope with demand, some nearby residents complained.
Dublin City Council last week refused to grant permission for five shows, saying they would cause "an unacceptable level of disruption" for residents and businesses.
The dispute grew increasingly bitter, sparking a legal bid by some residents to have the shows canceled, and a rival petition calling for them all to go ahead.
Brooks released a statement last week saying he would play five shows or none.
"To choose which shows to do and which shows not to do, would be like asking to choose one child over another," he said.
Promoter Peter Aiken said Tuesday that attempts to reach agreement among the feuding parties had failed and "no concerts will take place."
Ticket-seller Ticketmaster said it would be offering refunds.
Brooks is one of the best-selling musicians in U.S. history, with more than 128 million albums sold, and helped make country music an international phenomenon.
For more details, go to GarthBrooks.com.
(The Associated Press Contributed To This Report.)