Recovery Effort Continues At Walden’s Puddle After Devastating Fire
JOELTON, Tenn. – Walden’s Puddle has continued its recovery efforts after a fire tore through the facility in June.
Officials said the fire alarm went off around 3:07 a.m. June 23, at the wildlife rehabilitation facility in Joelton. At least 75 animals died as a result of the fire.
The blaze was said to have been caused by a dryer that spontaneously combusted. The downstairs area was most severely damaged.
The smoke detector installed in the laundry room was credited with saving most of the animals.
Now, more than a week and a half after the incident, cardboard still covers one window that employees actually had to break to save a lot of birds in one room, as smoke was billowing in the hallway.
Most of the remaining animals have remained in temporary shelter on different parts of the property and some were even moved off the site, as the clean-up and renovation efforts continue.
While employees said they're grateful that so many animals were saved, they still mourn the ones that were lost.
“We treasure each life. It's difficult... more and more people know about the greater good of this mission because of those animals,” said Lane Brody, Walden's Puddle Board Chairman.
Walden's Puddle established a fund to help them recover from the fire.
They need a commercial washer and dryer, baby incubators along with donations and volunteers. Officials said they hope to expand their operation, as they take in 3500 animals a year.
If you would like to help, go tohttp://waldenspuddle.org.